The release of the latest version of Drupal has prompted many organizations to consider migrating their sites from Drupal 7 or 8. However, some of them may be hesitant to make the switch due to the perceived cost of migration. While there is certainly a cost associated with migrating, many a time there is a higher hidden cost to delaying the migration process.
In this article, we will explore the cost of delaying your migration from Drupal 7 or 8 to the latest version of Drupal.
- One of the biggest costs of delaying your migration from Drupal 7 or 8 is the lost opportunity. The latest versions will offer many new features and improvements over their predecessors, including enhanced security, improved performance, and better scalability. By delaying your migration, you are missing out on the opportunity to take advantage of these features and provide higher customer satisfaction. This could put you at a disadvantage compared to your competitors.
- As you're likely aware, the End of Life (EOL) for Drupal 7 is fast approaching (November 2023), and Drupal 8 has already reached its EOL (November 2021). This means that you won't receive any further security updates, leaving your website vulnerable to potential attacks. Without the necessary security patches, your website could be at risk of data breaches, which could harm your customers' trust in your business and lead to costly legal fees. By migrating to the latest version of Drupal, you can ensure that your website stays current with the latest security updates and reduce the risk of a security breach.
- Another cost of delaying your migration is the accumulation of technical debt. This refers to the cost of maintaining outdated technology or systems, which can slow down development and increase the likelihood of errors or bugs. By delaying your migration, you are accumulating technical debt that will eventually need to be paid off. This could result in higher development costs, longer development timelines, and more headaches down the road.
- As Drupal 7 and 8 become more outdated, third-party modules and themes will likely stop supporting them. This can lead to compatibility issues and breakages when attempting to update or add new functionality to your site. By migrating you ensure that you have access to the latest and most compatible modules and themes, which can save you time and money in the long run.
- Another cost of delaying your migration is the increased difficulty of migration. Migrating from Drupal 7 to the latest version, for example, requires multiple steps and may involve significant changes to the structure and code of your website. The longer you delay the migration, the more difficult the process becomes, which can lead to longer timelines and higher development costs.
- As Drupal 7 and 8 become more outdated, support for these versions will likely dwindle. This can make it more difficult to find developers who are familiar with these versions and can provide support or assistance when needed. By migrating, you ensure that you have access to a large community of developers and support resources.
While there is certainly a cost associated with migrating from Drupal 7 or 8 to Drupal 9 or 10, the cost of delaying the migration process can be even greater. Delaying your migration can result in lost opportunity costs, security risks, technical debt, compatibility issues, increased difficulty of migration, and lack of support. By migrating you can take advantage of the latest features and improvements, reduce security risks, and stay ahead of the competition.
If you require assistance with your Drupal migration or upgrade, look no further. Unimity Solutions offers top-of-the-line Drupal migration services that can take your website to the next level. Our team of seasoned professionals can migrate your website to the latest version of Drupal with ease and provide you with a dynamic and adaptable solution that meets the evolving demands of your business. Why not start with a FREE audit of your existing website?